Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dye Another Day


My latest shipment of white wool yarn arrived yesterday. In keeping with my current addiction, err... I mean, passion for making socks, this time, it was white fingering/sock weight wool from JoJoLand. (Nice folks over there and they are a repeat vendor at the DFW FiberFest. We love them!) I had the colors all picked out for my next venture into dying wool. This time I was going to try a variegated yarn using three different colors, but first, the yarn had to be loosened to better take the dye evenly. In between answering the door for the "trick-or-treaters" and dinner, I somehow managed to get the wool wound onto my swift early enough to still leave time in the evening for the fun part. Over the next two hours, I brewed, submerged, rinsed, brewed, submerged... well, you get the idea.

Then came the hardest part. I had hang the hanks and let them dry - overnight! Ahh! The anguish! I wanted to ball it up and use it right away!


When the time finally arrived tonight, I had this:



That, my friends, is what happens when wool meets "Lemon Lime" "Berry Blue" and "Grape" flavored Kool-Aid and a little heat.


I like all the resulting colors, but the blue is amazing! So vibrant, almost electric!


Below is a picture of what the hanks look like balled up. But, look quickly - I'm ending this post early so I can start a sock and discover the play of the colors in a pattern.






SDOSAS!



~Jer

No comments:

Post a Comment