The vertical cardigan is now completed. The pattern is Dusty Miller from "Crocheted Aran Sweaters" by Jane Snedden Peever. This is the first of several patterns (including a couple of my own) that I am testing in order to make a recommendation to my local guild for the multi-month project class I will be teaching the last half of 2008. Although there are a few things I would change the next time through the pattern, I followed the written pattern very closely. [This, alone, was a feat of cosmic proportion! Not that I have trouble following a pattern, but more like that I often think I know a better way. Sometimes it does work better. Sometimes not. But I digress.]
Overall, I found the pattern to be very clearly written and chock-full of detailed guidance. The sizing was spot on with guage and in the end, the required amount of materials was precise. (I did add an extra button, making a total of 7 instead of the suggested 6. That's just personal preference/belief and shouldn't affect fit at all.)
The sweater was made in 5 pieces. After the pieces were sewn together, I had this:
After finishing the seaming, the ribbing/faux ribbing is added incorporating the button holes as you go. Simple as can be. And the end result is like a steal. The pattern works up very fast (it is worsted weight, after-all).
That's all for now. I have to go locate the yarn for the next sweater, an Australian superwash.
Yeah. That should be easy...